Wednesday, March 05, 2003

The Lights Go On


It's been an amazingly snow-heavy winter here in Indiana. As soon as one layer of snow begins to melt, another falls. Last Saturday night my son Cameron and I sat in the dark for 4 1/2 hours (with candles and a battery operated radio) because a heavy snowstorm knocked out our power. We talked, we read by candlelight; I crocheted a blanket I started three years ago. What do we do without busy-ness? Without noise and electronics and Playstation 2? We talked, we thought, we listened, we waited. And then the lights went on, as mysteriously and as suddenly as they went out. Beyond our control, simply requiring our acceptance. That's the way I'm learning from God these days--accepting what is, being grateful for it, and learning to meet Him in the quiet moments underneath the rush and clatter of our modern life. :) k

No comments: