Sunday, September 01, 2002

Once upon a time I read "The Tao of Pooh" and considered myself a taoist. The cork tree is perfect as a cork tree. It doesn't have to be turned into any other product or do any other thing besides what it does so naturally and so well. This really does fit my approach to life and, I think, to people. Things are as they are, and that's okay. We invest our energies in what we want to create (either consciously or unconsciously) and then we play out what we ourselves have created. The part I haven't figured out yet is where we cross the line--when are we messing around in someone else's creation pot? What if someone wants to live in a chaos they find comfortable and we've been trying desperately (for our own needs as well as for their own "good") to help them clear things up? Ultimately we learn that it is not our choice. Life is very humbling and large. I think I need to sit under a cork tree for about two weeks.

No comments: