Monday, January 14, 2013

Resistance to change

I was surprised to find that what bubbled up this morning for me during my meditation time was a big heavy block of resistance to change. By actually letting the sweet thread of a past memory wind through my thoughts, I experienced all the warmth and comfort that event brought. And right at the end of that feeling, I also got a big dose of protective energy--this is why I need to keep my life the way it is, the thought said.

Ah, yes. Protection. Safety. Peace.

There's something to be said for a life you know, a life you created and constructed, a life you love.

But sometimes the process of growth calls us to new things. Doesn't it feel like such a risk to open to the possibility that things can change? What if changing brings loss? (and doesn't it always, in some sense, ultimately?) What if I'm less happy after allowing change in than I am right now? Couldn't I just go on as things are, balanced, peaceful, and calm?

I don't believe that change has to be like Mount Vesuvius erupting. I think change can happen beautifully and with joy, like ice melting in warm sunshine. And yet I see that the way I've constructed and safeguarded my current reality, I see change as a threat to the existing order and not as the welcome fresh breezes of spring.

That will be my ongoing meditation today, and a prayer for you, too, if you're in the same place. That we may smile at change as a friend, come to add even more blessing and love and beauty to our lives. And so it is. Amen.

No comments: