Friday, February 13, 2004

Images of Us


This week I've been thinking a lot about images...not the kind we see, but the kind behind our eyes, that for better or worse creates the canvas on which we see. Our images of God--father, mother, nature, friend, life, all-knowing-one, judge, Big Smile in the Sky. Our images of ourselves--children, adults, good, bad, hurting, productive, loving, learning, open, hiding, or revealed. What image do we hold of ourselves, and how does it connect with our image of God? If I feel like a silly child, will God be a critical parent? If I feel like a productive adult, is God an encouraging friend? I think I can start either by becoming aware of the image I'm holding of myself or by asking who or what God is to me today. It amazes me that the two are so entwined. God is always, surprisingly, consistently, closer than I think. :) k

No comments: